NIPER Hyderabad had a star-studded Academia-Industry Synergy day on 23rd Aug, 2018. I was asked to moderate apanel on Innovation and Entrepreneurship. I chose to focus on the aspect of driving innovation already at NIPER-H towards commercialization. Invited Dr. Ashutosh of NIPER to identify where the gaps are, and put them to a panel of seasoned people drawn from industry in different areas of expertise spanning from technology transfer, chemistry, determining cell and animal model activity, development of pharmaceutical properties etc.
In the picture above, taken with the Director of NIPER, from left to right, my expert panellists were
- a) Sreenivas, ex-P&G, ex-Lilly, who started Sreeni Labs 11 years ago,
- b) Suresh Poosala, ex-BMS who just started OncoSeek Bio,
- c)Myself, ex-Vertex, who co-founded Sapien Biosciences and Saarum Sciences,
- d) Shashi Bala Singh, Director of NIPER-Hyd
- e) Anil Wali, FIIT
- f) Hemant Bhutani, ex-NIPER-Mohali, BMS-BBRC
- g) Ashutosh Kumar, ex-NIPER-Mohali, Associate Professor at NIPER-H
Dr. Suman Kapur of BITS-Pilani Hyd, had to leave early but she shared her challenges and experience of developing point of care diagnostic devices.
Many useful suggestions came from not just the panel but also students and members of the audience. These will be compiled and used to continue the dialogue with NIPER-H to see how best to implement them.